- This event has passed.
Study tour excursion – farming in Hòa Lạc (Hanoi) – FULL
May 28 @ 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM380,000VND
THIS IS EVENT IS NOW FULL. PLEASE ALSO RSVP FOR THE WAITING LIST.
At FVH we are always researching new topics and activities, and we have recently made 2 lovely new friends with whom we will plan different events (lectures, workshops and study tours) on the topic of agriculture. Today is a half day study tour focused on coffee production and dragon fruit farming in Hòa Lạc in the suburbs of Hanoi about 30 to 45mins from the centre of Hanoi (traffic depending).
Nguyễn Xuân Bang, Senior Expert on Modern Agriculture Architecture Chief on Global Innovation Solutions, AFOTECH
Dr Hoàng Thị Thu Duyến, Director of Smart Agriculture and Sustainability Program, Vietnam Japan University
While these are their day jobs, Bang and Duyến are involved in a number of agricultural initiatives and projects working with local farmers, education and training into sustainable farming, and they have their own organic coffee production.
Our half excursion is in the form of a study tour which we hope will be interesting particularly for those who want to know more about organic farming in Vietnam, the history of coffee production in Vietnam, and exploring one of Vietnam’s most iconic fruits in detail – the Dragon Fruit – Hoa, one of the main organic farmers in the area will show us round his dragon fruit farms
- Dept Pan Pacific appx 8.15am to arrive about 9am at Vietnam National University (VNU), Hòa Lạc campus
- Discussion with Bang and Duyến about the Hòa Lạc area (while there are loads of hi-tech parks and university campuses in the region, a lot of farming still takes place and the countryside around is lovely and refreshing)
- Visit the dragon farms with farmer Hoa and learn about dragon fruits and farming, the different types and observe the trees close up.
- Visit a small area of land with newly planted coffee tree seedlings that Bang and Duyến are working on with the farmers and they will explain more about coffee farming
- See the different types of soil in the area and the soil properties
- Learn about the process of grafting
- Early lunch and discussion on the importance and history of agriculture in Vietnam and general conversation with Bang and Duyến about their passion for agriculture and the other projects they are involved in
- Move to the VNU campus opposite to visit the small workroom/lab where Duyến is doing a bean sprout soil experiment
- Depending on time and weather – exploration of some of the VNU campus (which is set in lovely countryside grounds)
- Depart Hòa Lạc about 2pm
- Weather – given it’s the end of May we of course expect it to be very hot. But we don’t want to delay starting our activities with Bang and Duyến – we are also hoping that the dragon fruit will start to come out in bloom – plus its nice countryside so a good chance to escape urban Hanoi and be within greenery
- Assuming hot, humid, sunny weather – for those who are confirmed please dress suitably and bring enough comforts (fans, water, cooling spray, sunglasses, hats etc.) to feel comfortable -from about 9.30am to 11am we will be outside most of the time
- Please be flexible re. the return time – this is the 1st time we have done this study tour so we may want to stay a bit longer longer or we may leave earlier
- Same fee for everyone to ensure FVH can cover the tour expenses
Please RSVP to Stella – firstname.lastname@example.org
Max 10 people (we are keeping this activity to a small group of interested people which also makes for good discussion)