- This event has passed.
People of the Old Quarter with Hồng and Hằng. A morning of art, Hanoi food & St. Trần mediumship – FULL
July 29 @ 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM200,000VND
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL. BUT PLEASE RSVP FOR THE WAITING LIST IN CASE SPACES BECOME AVAILABLE AND FOR PRIORITY FOR THE NEXT TIME WE DO THIS EVENT
Welcome to our 3rd People of the Old Quarter event. This is when we meet those who have lived (and worked) all their lives in the Old Quarter. Each event has a different format, from show and tell, taking part in a workshop, to eating and drinking, or just listening to the person’s life stories. We gather in their homes or place of work to hear about their family history, their trade, their stories and memories (whether ordinary or extraordinary), the history of their house and the street they live in. They may be well known characters in the community or just the neighbour next door or someone we meet in passing. But they all have something in common. They all have a story to tell.
This month we are in Lương Ngọc Quyến/Mã Mây streets to visit Hằng and her mum Hồng, and their family.
- Introductions and their family history
- History of their house and the surrounding streets – what it was like in the past and now to live here
- The spirits. When she was alive, Hồng’s mum, Hằng’s grandmother carried out the mediumship of Trần Hưng Đạo (St Trần mediumship). Hằng and Hồng explain about this practice and its association with their family.
- The family altar and why the family would not consider moving house
- Hồng – the artist and the chef! She loves painting and is a superb cook
- Special Hanoi foods
Ther morning ends with lunch
Included in this event are homemade tea and snacks on arrival ending with a traditional Hanoian lunch (cooked depending on the season),. TBC for the meal – it will be either bún bung (soup with egg plant, tofu, pork, tomato) or bún chuối đậu (soup with banana, tofu, pork, tomato) plus banana flower salad with either dish. Pork will be separate on the side hence either is suitable for vegetarians.
Max number 7 people
Meeting point, and further information will be sent to those confirmed
200,000 VND per person which incudes tea, snacks and lunch
Please RSVP to Stella – firstname.lastname@example.org