- This event has passed.
Excursion (travel by public bus). Lotus silk and the beauty of the lotus flower – nearly full
August 12 @ 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM300,000VND
AS OF 6 AUGUST MAX 2 SPACES AVAILABLE. WE WILL THEN HAVE A WAITING LIST
This is a relaxed small group visit to meet renowned silk artisan Mrs Phan Thị Thuận at her home and workshop. This humble, friendly and passionate woman will share with us about her journey in reviving and developing the traditional profession of raising silkworms and making silk in Mỹ Đức District, Hanoi. She is well known for her creativity with decades of experience (starting when she was 6 years old). She is particularly famous for making silk from the lotus flower. The products she and her team create are regarded as distinguished, unique and authentic.
- Visit the lotus pond
- Talk and discussion at Mrs Thuận’s house
- Visit stages in the production process for making silk from both silkworms and lotus flowers
- Lunch and Q&A
- Afternoon workshop
We are keeping this to a small group plus with a difference. This time we travel by public bus from Hanoi (return) to the final bus station in Vân Đình town, and then get taxi from there to Phùng Xá – Mrs. Thuận’s village.
- Please be flexible for travel time from/to Hanoi/Vân Đình town by public bus The bus from Hanoi (recommended from Yen Nghia bus station) takes about 1 hr 15 minutes (depending on traffic). As its a Saturday the bus and stations are expected to be very crowded as people go back to their home villages at weekends. The welcome email will explain the meeting time and location at the bus station in Hanoi where we board the most convenient bus to Van Dinh
- We recommend you wear closed shoes as we will be walking over rough foliage at some locations and the floor of her lotus silk workshop will be wet
- We try not to interrupt her workers while they are working so in the workshop please talk quietly (please note the floor in the lotus silk workshop will be wet)
- A picnic lunch at Mrs. Thuận’s house. Please bring your own food and drink
Please RSVP via this form https://forms.gle/c3TeKWseQ5UDUiyC8
Welcome email with logistics and other information will be sent to those confirmed on the excursion 3 days before
Maximum 10 spaces
Participation fee: 300,000/ person. Costs include donation to our hosts, and all materials for the workshop and taxis from/to/within Vân Đình and Phùng Xá. Excludes lunch/refreshments/public bus fares – personal costs.
©1999 Friends of Vietnam Heritage. All rights reserved. All walking tours and excursions run by Friends of Vietnam Heritage are specially created by, and are the property of, Friends of Vietnam Heritage. You cannot use the ideas and content, copy, modify or publish these or any other activity without the express permission of Friends of Vietnam. Our activities are not to be used for commercial purposes.