- This event has passed.
SPECIAL MUSICAL CULTURAL EVENT: A Sonata Evening with Vietnamese Composer Nguyễn Văn Quỳ
October 30, 2018 @ 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM200,000VND
This is an opportunity to honour the life and work of an amazing Vietnamese composer who is nicknamed the Beethoven of Vietnam. At 93 years old Master Quỳ is very frail but his brain and mind are still sharp.
He was born in 1925 and his first 20 years of life were during the French colonial times. He has an amazing life story which we want to share with you as well as showcase his varied talents. He composed 9 sonatas (between 1964-2003), he wrote 9 songs and a number of poems. (Beethoven composed 10 sonatas for the violin and piano – hence his nickname).
We are delighted that United Nations International School Hanoi (UNIS Hanoi) is hosting this evening for us. And thank you to Red Apron for sponsoring the drinks reception
- 5.45pm Welcome drinks reception (wine and soft drinks)
- 6.30pm start and introduction to Quỳ
- Recital of poem ‘La Nature’ in French (by one of the UNIS Hanoi students)
- Sonata no. 8 for the violin and piano (30 minutes) performed by musicians Phạm Thanh Hà (Violin) and Phan Huy Phúc (Piano)
- Recital of poem ‘Pensant a Toi’ in French (by one of the UNIS Hanoi students)
- Da khúc (Nocturne) (one of the songs written and composed by Quỳ)
- Q&A with Quỳ – depending on time
- Thanks and presentations
Quỳ’s three biggest loves in life are Vietnam, Music and Teaching
We hope this will be a great community event with something for everyone – classical music lovers and those who want to understand more about the history and society during the French times through the eyes of this individual.
Quỳ’s greatest wish before he departs this life is to have the recognition he deserves in the modern day. Please join us in making his dream come true.
- Phạm Thanh Hà begun studying the violin at the age of 4 and started work at the orchestra of the Vietnam National Opera and Ballet Theatre (VNOB) in 1995 as Principal of the second violin section. He is currently Concertmaster of the VNOB Orchestra.
- Phan Huy Phúc studied music in the United States, and has been active in music performance and education since 2010. In 2013 he became rehearsal pianist and orchestra member of the VNOB. He currently teaches music at Alexandre Yersin French School.
Please register this form – more information will follow
For info/enquiries contact FVH
Tickets 200,000 VND adults / 100,000 VND students
Venue: UNIS Hanoi, Centre for the Arts, G9, Ciputra, Tay
Dress code: smart, evening attire