Cultural Series – The history of astronomy in Vietnam
October 8 @ 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM250,000VND
Astronomy means ‘the scientific study of the universe and of objects that exist naturally in space, such as the moon, the sun, planets, and stars’.
Cosmology is the ‘study of the nature and origin of the universe’.
The discipline of astronomy is relatively new in Vietnam’s millennia-long history, although back in feudal times some offices were set up for astronomical research. However, it was not until the 20th century that Vietnam had its first observatory; before 1950 astronomy was taught in the last class of secondary school but probably it wasn’t until the 1990s that more attention was paid to astronomy and cosmology.
We think exploring the history of Vietnamese astronomy is a new and exciting topic for FVH and we are delighted to invite Đặng Vũ Tuấn Sơn from VACA (the Vietnam Astronomy and Cosmology Association) to take us on a whistle-stop trip through the universe. (VACA was set up in 2002 to research into, and teach, astronomy in Vietnam).
The presentation includes:
- Key roles of astronomy in the modern world
- Astronomy observations in Vietnam ancient times (including calendars)
- Development of astronomy since 20th century in Vietnam, including – the French period, key historical events and leading Vietnamese people in the country’s development and teaching of astronomy, the constellations..)
- Observatories and activities in the modern days
- The role and work of VACA and future plans
- And we hope that Sơn may bring one or two telescopes
The presentation will be a mixture of Vietnamese with English interpretation, and English.
Researcher, author, and teacher Đặng Vũ Tuấn Sơn is the founder and president of VACA. He is also author of many books, scientific papers, and publications on astronomy and astrophysics including the “Dictionary of Astronomy and Astrophysics”, “Earth and Solar System”, “Beyond the Oort Cloud”, “A Brief History of Astronomy” to name but a few.
Venue – currently being finalised with VACA – will be one of our regular venues or one in the Cau Giay area
up to 30 people
250,000 VND pp to cover venue hire, and speakers
Please RSVP to email@example.com