- This event has passed.
Craft workshop and studio talk – picture framing in a calligraphy studio – FULL
September 27 @ 1:00 PM - 5:30 PM390,000VND
THIS WORSHOP IS NOW FULL. PLEASE RSVP FOR THE WAITING LIST. THANKS
This is the first of 3 wokshops/studio talks
We visit the small ‘aladdin’s’ cave of calligraphy items, scrolls, paper mounts and frames belonging to one of Hanoi’s leading young calligraphers/calligraphic artists Nguyễn Duy Lộc. This activity is being organised in conjunction with the Zó project.
Photos inside the studio are not included here otherwise it would spoil the surprise.
What do we frame (A4 picture)? (1) For those who came to our dried leaves and flowers collage on dó paper you can bring your picture to mount and frame in a wooden frame, (2) any other picture or (3) Lộc can also write your name in calligraphy which you can frame.
Framing. There are 2 types of framing – 4 sided frame with glass and mounting on scroll matrial/paper. For this workshop we will mount our picture in the standard frame as per the above picture. The scroll format takes too long for this particular workshop but Lộc will talk about the process and we will include this in a separate workshop.
Travel to Yen Xa – its hard to find the location if one is not used to this area. So the options are: (1) travel out on the bus from Long Bien bus station with Stella (takes 35 mins) then we share a short taxi ride from the bus stop in Ha Dong to Yen Xa (about 25,000 vnd 1 way) – this saves money otherwise it would be a grab/taxi cost from the centre or (2) make your own way – you will be sent a detailed logistics note re where to meet etc.
- 1pm/1.15pm we all meet at the appointed spot in Yen Xa – short walk round the area which is interesting for the way new apartments are being built and learn about this former village
- visit to Yen Xa temple to hear its very interesting story and see some of the old rural area
- 2pm arrive at the studio
- Introduction to Lộc
- Introduction to, and look around, his studio
- Detailed talk on how calligraphy/calligraphic art is mounted on the matrial/silk scrolls, the meaning of the colours etc.
- Chat about some of the different images that are currently hanging up in the studio
- Now our little workshop – probably everyone will want Lộc to write our names on do paper for framing in calligaphy
- We mount our picture ourselves on a background
- We frame (it likely the actual frame is already made)
- Q&A throughout
Due the studio being small this workshop is limited to a max of 8 people
390,000 vnd (same price for everyone) – a little more than our normal workshop fees but it includes the framing material, your calligraphy name, as well as the talk, and tea – plus the overall experience will be worth it – its something different.
Workshop time from 2pm to apprx 4pm/4.30pm (+ travel there and back – allow appx 1 hr travel 1 way by bus from the centre). This is the first time FVH and Lộc have run this event so please be flexible for the return time
The studio is in a fairly rural neighbourhood in Yên Xá, Thanh Trì, near Hà Đông so we will make travelling there part of the adventure for those who want to come by public bus (which will also save on travel costs). In reality its not that far from the centre of Hanaoi with plenty of buses. Full joining instructions will be sent to those who are confirmed.
For those who come there will be a lot of standing and it may be warm inside the studio so you may want to bring a hand fan
Please RSVP to Stella
THE WORKSHOP LIST
- 27 September studio introduction and framing in a standard frame (this is the easiest)
- October date TBC Calligraphy workshop with Lộc and one of the works of art we create will be used in the 3rd workshop
- November date TBC workshop learning to mount our calligraph work on the silk srolls (we do everything ourselves – learning how to measure and cut, the artist side, choosing our silk, how to apply to the wooden rods, ironing and sealing our work