- This event has passed.
leap year day. 1 day excursion to Phố Hiến (Hưng Yên) – Traces of the old days. FULL
February 29, 2020 @ 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM380,000VND
AS OF 3 FEB THIS EXCURSION IS FULL
WE HAVE HAD AN UNBELIEVABLY QUICK SIGN UP WITHIN AN HOUR OF THE MAILING. WE HAVE A WAITING LIST AS END OF FEB IS STILL A LONG WAY AWAY SO PLEASE RSVP VIA THE FORM FOR THE WAITING LIST PLUS WE PLAN TO RUN THE TOUR AGAIN IN MARCH – DATE TBC. THAN K YOU EVERYONE FOR THIS AMAZING SUPPORT
Besides the imperial Thăng Long citadel with the 36-streets Old Quarter and charming Hội An, have you ever heard of a port city that used to be a top prosperous commercial centre in the 17th – 18th centuries located in the Red River Delta?
Our ‘Traces of the old days’ walking tour/excursion is the topic of our visit to Phố Hiến in this special day out. From research and remaining relics and stelae, Phố Hiến (in Hưng Yên province) dates back to the Hùng Kings era. Trading began in this area in the 9th and 10th centuries, flourishing from the 17th to the early 18th centuries.
In this busy commercial port, there were 20 trading wards and occupation wards, stores and warehouses of foreign traders mainly from the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, China and Japan. Important evidence for Phố Hiến’s flourishing development is the collection of around 60 architectural relics (communal houses, temples, pagodas, shrines) and thousands of stelae and antiques.
For our excursion we will visit a selection of destinations that will give us a feel for the place. The ones we have chosen have special architectural values namely Trần Temple – Mẫu Temple on the bank of Bán Nguyệt Lake (Crescent Lake); Thiên Hậu Temple – Võ Miếu; Đông Đô Quảng Hội (Đông Đô Clubhouse); Xích Đằng Temple of Literature – Chuông Pagoda and some other interesting places.
Though these relics are scattered and Phố Hiến nowadays is very different from what it used to be like, understanding the connections between these places helps bring the golden days of Phố Hiến alive.
RSVP to Phuong Anh via this form https://forms.gle/KHnnFujqmeWDGeLV7
- Unlike previous excursions our visit to Phố Hiến is more like a city walk as we stroll around the town. Please wear comfortable shoes. Where the stretches between places of interest are longer we will take the mini bus.
- LUNCH. A local restaurant serving Hưng Yên’s specialties – Bún thang lươn (rice vermicelli soup with fried eel) and possibly other kinds of noodles price appx 50,000 VND. Lunch is not included in the fee. As the vegan option/special diet is not available, it may be better to bring your own packed lunch
- Registration deadline: 19 February. As we are often oversubscribed for excursions, we will have a waiting list so if you do RSVP and find you cannot attend please let us know asap so we can fill your place
- This excursion is particularly great for those who would like to come on a walking tour with a difference, good photo opportunities, great for those who want to learn about another part of Vietnam’s history, learn about some new traditions and legends, see an ancient port town that still retains its natural less touristy character
- We will be visiting a number of places of worship so please dress respectfully. In most places we do not need to take our shoes off apart from a couple of places
380,000/adults. 200,000/ children under 15s. Cost covers 16 seater mini bus to Phố Hiến, Hưng Yên Province and donations for the places of worship we visit. Journey time Pan Pacific Hotel to Pho Hien is appx 2 hours one way
max number 14 people. Because this is a walking tour excursion we need to keep with a small group.
The excursion is in English and Anh/Mai on our committee will interpret from Vietnamese to English
Meeting point at the Pan Pacific Hotel. Joining instructions will be sent to confirmed RSVPs